One of the leading causes of accidental death within the home can be traced back to furnace installation and maintenance.  This doesn’t occur in a dramatic or flashy way, there will be no explosion, smoke, or any immediately noticeable sign that anything is wrong.  In fact, the culprit is odorless, tasteless, and completely invisible.  It comes in the form of CO, or carbon monoxide, which is incredibly lethal in even moderate doses.  The culprit for many of these deaths is a faulty or cracked heat exchanger, which allows the deadly gas to quickly fill a home.


Heat exchanger inspection, training, and repair are crucial

Beyond just good business, it is reckless for HVAC or utility professionals to be unable to detect, predict, and prevent problems associated with the heat exchanger.  Of all responsibilities that furnace installation and maintenance professionals need, this is probably the most crucial; yet, across the country we have found countless licensed, practicing technicians that fail to identify most issues with heat exchangers.  To put it plainly: As a company or professional that services or installs furnaces, it is your responsibility to ensure the safety of the community through effective heat exchanger inspection and maintenance.



Carbon monoxide poisoning affects the brain and heart the most.  Exposure over time might lead to symptoms that can be mistaken for the flu without the fever.  Clearer symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include:

  • Headache
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea or vomiting.
  • Shortness of breath.
  • Confusion
  • Blurred vision.
  • Drowsiness
  • Loss of muscle control


Loss of consciousness

Symptoms related to the nervous system and brain can come on after recovery from carbon monoxide poisoning.  The risk of these is higher in people who lose consciousness from carbon monoxide and older people. Symptoms might include:

  • Memory loss.
  • Personality changes.
  • Movement problems.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can be especially dangerous for people who are asleep, drugged or drunk.  Carbon monoxide can cause brain damage or death before anyone realizes there’s a problem.


When to see a doctor

For possible carbon monoxide poisoning, get into fresh air and seek medical care right away.


Contact us

If you have an upcoming HVAC project, join hands with a licensed and insured contractor at East Coast Mechanical.   Email: ecmcecmc@aol.com  Address: 5133 W Hurley Pond Rd Suite A, Wall Township, NJ 07727 Hours: Monday to Friday 8 AM to 5 PM and Closed Saturday and Sunday.

Phone:  800-300-ECMC or 732-751-8877